Active Learning in the Classroom
Engaging and motivating young people through active involvement in learning
with Nick Austin
We know from a growing body of research that children learn best when they are actively engaged, mentally and physically in the process of learning. Research also suggests that active participation in learning (as opposed to passive learning), is more enjoyable, more memorable and more effectively understood. Active learning starts with active engagement, often involving practical activity and physical movement within a clear learning cycle.
The workshop includes:
- Exploring how active involvement in the process of learning has greater impact on learning effectiveness than passive acquiescence
- The importance of active engagement in the learning process
- How connecting active movement strategies to content helps to build and consolidate neural networks, and encourage greater learner engagement in content
- Models for problem-based learning
- The importance of activities to start lessons and as reviewing learning activities
- Using a variety of brain breaks to support effective learning
Nick Austin is a Professional Development Consultant, running training in a wide variety of areas including teaching and learning in the classroom, leadership, management and team building. He was a primary school teacher, working in both the independent and state sectors, and was headteacher of a successful primary school in Surrey before moving into consulting and training. Nick is a keen advocate of active learning, and his workshops reflect this philosophy, with active participation from delegates, who are encouraged to engage in the processes of learning and to share their experiences with others for the benefit of all.
This programme is designed to run as a full day INSET for your school, academy, cluster or federation.
Typical timings are 0915 – 1530 with breaks for lunch and refreshments but these can be adjusted to suit your schedule.
We are committed to providing outstanding training at a sensible price. Please email us for details.
As well as providing outstanding INSET days within your school or federation we are always happy to discuss flexible arrangements such as a series of twilight events, inputs with smaller groups, lesson observations, consultancy, coaching and mentoring.
For more information or to make a booking:
phone: 0118 9797551